Tuesday, December 21, 2010

XMAS in the ROK

Christmas always manages to sneak up on me, this year is no exception. Wasn't it just Thanksgiving? My time in Korea is quickly evaporating and I wish it wasn’t.

The holiday season hasn't been quite the same in Korea. Christmas is a national holiday here, but it's not exactly the commercial extravaganza it is in the States. From conversations I've had with my co-teachers and students there is not much gift-giving or family-gathering like back home. For the most part families or couples seem to go out have a nice meal and call it a day. Decorating is minimal maybe a petite Christmas tree pre-decorated, but not much beyond that. Fair enough. But I LOVE Christmas. I like my Christmas busting at the seams with sugar plum fairies, Yankee swaps, cookie exchanges and Bing Crosby dreaming about a "White Christmas." I've done my darndest to Christmas the crap out of my shoebox-sized apartment.

God bless my mother. Wouldn't let Korea get in the way of sending me a Christmas tree, a manger, a stocking or an Advent calendar. Thank you so much for making my first Christmas not at home every bit like I was home for the holidays even down the children's Christmas book (a tradition in our family). I got another generous surprise from my dear friend Lucy who sent me peppermint bark and a pine-scented candle (among other things) to whip me into the Christmas spirit.

I’ll be spending Christmas weekend at a friend’s apartment in Guri, but first we’ll check out The Nutcracker on Christmas Eve. We’ve organized a Secret Santa between the 13 of us so we’ll each be able to do a little gift-giving and getting on the Christmas.

Anywho… Merry Christmas everyone especially the Worhach and Colgan clans—I miss you all! Merrrry Christmas and to all a good night!!!





1 comment: